ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Climate Policy Initiative is a team of consultants that works to improve the most important energy and land use policies around the world, with a particular focus on finance. We answer pressing questions posed by decision makers through in-depth analysis on what works and what does not. We work in places that provide the most potential for policy impact, including Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, South Africa and the United States.
CPI is a small but dynamic organization, with a global reach and an entrepreneurial culture. We work hard to maintain an idea-driven, collaborative environment across all our teams. In 2019, the team is looking to scale up significantly, building on recent successful engagements in areas such as energy market design and, in particular, climate-related financial risk.
CPI provides a challenging environment for the intellectually curious. Staff are encouraged to continue their professional development and afforded opportunities to learn new skills and acquire new expertise.
Roles at CPI require well-rounded candidates with a talent for independent thinking, effective collaboration and pragmatic problem-solving skills. CPI is looking for talented, highly skilled and motivated Analysts to join its Energy Finance programme, which focuses on the potential for financial and policy innovations to drive a transition to low carbon energy.
The successful Analyst applicant will undertake robust analysis that draws on methodologies from a range of disciplines including public policy, finance and economics. In conducting analysis, he/she will be required to work closely with a range of local and international partners, including investor groups, energy utilities, government agencies, development banks, investment banks and other private sector actors.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Includes the following and others as assigned:
- Undertake rigorous qualitative and quantitative analysis and evaluation of energy and land use policies and energy infrastructure financing.
- Efficient synthesis and analysis of large datasets.
- Produce high-quality materials such as numerical analysis, written documents and presentations to short deadlines.
- Support the Principals and Consultants in helping to develop, maintain, coordinate and facilitate strong relationships and good communication with business partners, clients, and team members.
- Interact with policymakers, private sector participants and other stakeholders on a regular basis to conduct joint analysis, communicate research findings effectively, and/or to ensure analysis undertaken is policy relevant.
- Work effectively with the rest of the London team and the rest of the Energy Finance team in the global network.
- Travel in support of CPI Energy Finance, as necessary.
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
The successful applicant will have the following minimum attributes:
- An insightful, independent, analytical mind, with a passion for energy and climate change issues.
- Some understanding of the European and/or US regulatory landscape and processes for energy infrastructure at both the national and regional levels: upstream energy markets, power generation (both low carbon and carbon-intensive), transmission & distribution networks, customer side of the meter, etc. Also desirable is understanding of energy markets in developing countries (in particular, South East Asia) and other major carbon emitting sectors (eg steel, cement, chemicals).
- Experience in and understanding of the finance industry and financing structures for infrastructure projects is very desirable but not necessary.
- Ability to communicate methods, results and recommendations from complex qualitative and quantitative analysis to expert and non-technical audiences.
- Self-starter, ability to juggle multiple complex tasks at the same time.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Familiarity and comfort working with government officials, acadmics and research organizations, and leaders from the private sector.
- Professionalism, enthusiasm for working as part of a team, and ability to interact with a diverse group of people.
- Respect for your fellow colleagues and a deep commitment to the mission and values of CPI.
- Fluency in English is required
- Fluency in another European language is highly desirable, in particular, Spanish or German
- Excellent academic track record, ideally including Master’s degree in a quantitative subject or part-completion of professional finance qualification (e.g. Professional Stage ACA or CFA level 1). Professional experience relating to energy or climate change policies would be a bonus.
- Experience working with government or private sector experience (consulting firm, think tank, financial institution, utility, etc.) would be a bonus.
- Excellent Excel skills are a must. Familiarity with other data analytical tools/languages, such as Stata, Python and R would be a bonus.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The position is available for immediate appointment. The position will be based in London. CPI offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience.
Visit https://climatepolicy.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=85 to submit an application. With your application, attach two documents: (1) CV/resume, (2) a cover letter, followed by a writing sample of 5 pages or less that has not been edited by anyone other than yourself.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Climate Policy Initiative is an equal opportunity employer.