CPI is currently looking for an exceptional Senior Accountant to support our global offices implementing our programs across the globe. You will be part of a finance team ensuring compliance with GAAP and the integrity of financial information and systems by performing various accounting functions including, but not limited to, recording, reconciling, and reporting of AP, AR, payroll, accrued and prepaid expenses, bank reconciliations, month-end financial close functions and the maintenance of accounting records. The Senior Accountant works independently and with the operations and finance departments performing financial analyses and enquiries and supporting grant-specific and annual ordinary audits. You will have the opportunity to work for an innovative global organization with a highly motivated team.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Oversee and be responsible for full cycle AP from assigned offices ensuring documentation is complete and policies are being adhered to.
- Manage GL activities including payroll journals, prepaids, accruals, foreign currency revaluations, fixed assets, and cash management entries for your offices
- Be responsible for the integrity of the general ledger within a multi-entity accounting environment, including balance sheet and general account reconciliations, and adjusting entries.
- Review transactions of finance staff from assigned offices to ensure transactions are performed timely and accurately with proper support documentation
- Prepare AR invoices and monitor performance against payment schedules
- Monitor cash flow and report on cash status
- Reconcile bank statements, upload credit card transactions, and review expense and credit card reports.
- Prepare audit PBC schedules and assist the Grants Finance Manager and CFO with grant-specific and ordinary audits
- Work with program and operations staff to set up projects, upload budgets in Sage Intacct ERP system
- Maintain accounting records in accordance with the requirements of funders and generally accepted accounting principles
- Investigate and resolve account discrepancies and any issues of non-compliance
- Prepare financial analyses and reports
- Troubleshoot Sage Intacct system issues and aid CFO, program, and operations staff with Sage Intacct report build-outs
- Contribute to the development of new or amended accounting policies, documentation, processes, and procedures
- Perform other accounting duties and supporting junior staff as required or assigned
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required with emphasis in accounting or finance preferred
- A minimum of five to seven years relevant general accounting experience preferably within a multi-entity accounting environment.
- A demonstrated understanding of GAAP accounting, financial reporting and restricted grant funding as they relate to non-profit/international NGOs; experience with US federal and European Government Agency funding a plus
- Highly organized with great attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to independently prioritize and manage multiple and sometime competing tasks
- Self-motivated, dependable, and self sufficient
- Hands-on expertise with business software systems. Sage Intacct accounting software experience highly desired
- Outstanding PC skills with Excel (intermediate/advanced), Word, Outlook
- Experience supporting financial audits with grant-specific and knowledge of US federal funding and A-133 requirements a plus
- Ability to work with all levels of staff across a multi-cultural, multi-geographic, multi-discipline organization
- A growth mindset and a passion for helping people continuously improve
- Experience with data management: sorting, managing, matching, arranging, maintaining, and updating complex data
- Highly organized and meticulous attention to detail, particularly in regards of financial data management
- Great oral and written communication skills, solution oriented, and be able to keep up a fast pace while adapting to frequent change
Location and compensation
CPI is hiring, open immediately. The position will be located in San Francisco or Washington DC. We prefer a hybrid attendance of either office. CPI offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. Compensation will be based on experience.
Visit this link to submit an application. With your application, attach two documents: (1) CV no longer than 2 pages (2) a cover letter no longer than 1 page. Applicants must have the legal right to live and work in the USA. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, and open until filled. Apply early. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Climate Policy Initiative is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion and we are working to embed DEI across every facet of our organization. We seek to establish a working environment where all board members, staff, volunteers, and contractors feel respected and valued regardless of gender, age, race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation or identity, disability, education, or any other bias. We want to create an inclusive culture where all forms of diversity are openly valued as critical to the success of our organization and the achievement of our mission and vision.
If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application. We will then work with you to identify the best way to assist you through the recruitment process.